FALLS CHURCH, Va. –
Is quitting tobacco your New Year’s resolution? TRICARE and YouCanQuit2
have resources to help you start—and finish—your journey to be tobacco-free.
and tobacco reduces your risk for many chronic health issues, like heart disease and cancer, and improves your overall health,” said Jeannine Pickrell, RN, Disease Management & Population Health, TRICARE Health Plan, Defense Health Agency. “Because some smoking risks also apply to people exposed to secondhand smoke
, quitting tobacco can boost your family’s health, too.”
According to the Food and Drug Administration, quitting tobacco can be hard because it contains nicotine
. Nicotine keeps people using tobacco, even if they want to stop. But when you’re ready to quit, TRICARE covers tobacco cessation services
that can help.
Tobacco Cessation Products
To help you quit tobacco, TRICARE covers these prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) products:
- Varenicline tablets (brand name Chantix)
- Bupropion SR tablets (brand name Zyban and generics)
- Nicotine nasal spray (brand name Nicotrol NS)
- Nicotine inhalation system (brand name Nicotrol)
- Nicotine transdermal systems (brand names Nicoderm CQ and Habitrol)
- Nicotine gum (generics and brand names Nicorette, Nicorelief)
- Nicotine lozenges (generics and brand names Nicorette and Commit)
You must have a prescription from a TRICARE-authorized provider
for tobacco cessation products. This also applies to products you can get over the counter. You can get them at no cost through military pharmacies
and TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery
. If you buy these products at a retail network pharmacy
, TRICARE won’t cover them.
You must be age 18 or older and not eligible for Medicare for TRICARE to cover tobacco cessation products. This includes prescription drugs.
If you live overseas, including the U.S. territories of Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, TRICARE will cover tobacco cessation products for active duty service members. TRICARE will also cover them for family members enrolled in TRICARE Prime Overseas
. These products are available at your military pharmacy and through home delivery.
You can search the TRICARE Formulary
to learn more about covered tobacco cessation products.
Tobacco Cessation Counseling
Counseling can also be a powerful tool to help you quit tobacco. TRICARE covers tobacco cessation counseling if:
If you need help finding counseling to prevent tobacco use, talk to your doctor or TRICARE contractor
is full of resources for service members and others who want to quit tobacco. Resources include:
- A 24/7 live chat with coaches who can answer questions and give you the encouragement you need to become tobacco-free.
- The YouCanQuit2 Quit Plan, an online tool you can use to build a quit plan and track your progress, and meet your goals.
- A support locator to help you find online programs and in-person support near you.
If you want to learn more about tobacco cessation services, be sure to check out the TRICARE Tobacco Cessation Program Fact Sheet
. You can also reach out to your regional contractor
Would you like the latest TRICARE news sent to you by email? Visit the TRICARE Subscriptions page today, and create your personalized profile to get benefit updates, news, and more.