Disaster Information

After a Disaster

Here are a few items to think about after a crisis. These will help to make sure your health care needs are met.

Check your identification (ID) and enrollment cards
You must have a valid uniformed services ID card to get care or have prescriptions filled. If you lost your ID card, visit the nearest ID card office to get a new ID card.

Follow appropriate referral and authorization procedures
TRICARE may issue blanket referrals and authorizations after a disaster. This means you’ll get your care easier during this time. After this period ends, you must follow the usual referral and authorization procedures for your TRICARE health plan. This helps you avoid unnecessary out-of-pocket costs. Learn if your area is affected.    

Transfer your enrollment if you move
If you move after an evacuation, you should: You have 90 days from the date of your address change to change your health plan to avoid a break in coverage.

Keep paying fees and premiums
If you pay an enrollment fee or monthly premium for your health care option, make sure you continue to pay on time to stay enrolled.

File claims in a timely manner
If you pay out-of-pocket for care during a time of crisis, you may need to file your own health care claims with TRICARE for reimbursement. 

Keep copies of your medical records
Keep any personal copies of your and your family’s medical records with you. This helps any new providers understand your health care needs.

Sign Up For Email Alerts

Subscribe to get disaster update via email.

Related Downloads